In the last issue we started introducing you to the people behind the scenes that make IHA a team. Our team members are excited to share with you a little insight into who they are.
“Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people
to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has.”~ Margaret Mead
As we all know, the most important asset of any organization are its employees. We are eager, experienced, full of positive energy, and we all believe in IHA and are committed to its mission – to serve as a resource and leader to support our members and the communities they serve through advocacy, education, information, cost-saving initiatives and business solutions. This is why we want you to get to know us.
In this issue you’ll learn that several of us have dogs, are left-handed, and enjoy a wide-array of activities outside of the office!
Donna Gammarato, Executive Director, UISS
1. Was born and raised in Queens, New York (accent? What accent?)
2. Is a middle child in a family of seven children. Can you tell?
3. Is an avid traveler – has been to 10 countries and plans to visit many more!
4. Owned a Greek restaurant in Long Island for 7 years… Opah!
5. Married her high school sweetheart
Grace Rust, Associate for Advocacy and Government Relations
1. Is a big New York Mets fan
2. Grew up on a vineyard
3. Just got married in October 2022
4. Lived in London for 3 months
5. Loves to read
Kevin M. Kerwin, Esq., Vice President of Advocacy and Legislative Counsel
1. Was born in Troy, New York, at home, in the bathroom – his mother thought it was important to shower before going to the hospital. As a consequence, Kevin’s oldest sister who had helped deliver him at home became a nurse
2. Is the youngest of 6 – Kevin has 4 sisters, and 1 brother. His sisters are named after the main characters in Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women – Beth, Jo, Amy, and Meg. Kevin is still not sure how his mother knew she’d have four girls, but is glad she did, or else he may have had a different name
3. His first pet was a German Shepard named Gretchen, given to his family by Governor Rockefeller’s grand-daughter, who attended the school where Kevin’s mother worked when he was a toddler. Kevin credits Gretchen for his interest in government and politics beginning at a young age
4. Recently connected with a cousin in Ireland that still lives on the Kirwan family farmstead in county Offlay. It is a dairy farm that recently started producing organic premium ice cream called Culcow. Ice cream happens to be one of Kevin’s very favorite food groups.
5. Recently became a bag piper
Kathy Kirvin, Director, Marketing and Communications
1. Received a full scholarship to manage the Women’s Volleyball program at the University of Alabama – Roll Tide Roll
2. Has had 7 organs removed (pancreas, gallbladder, spleen, and parts of others as part of a total pancreatectomy with auto islet transplant) and is a type 3c diabetic
3. Was once a guest on the Tyra Banks Show with her client Stiletto Spy School
4. Her husband played basketball at Hobart College and they have a 10 year-old daughter who is her mini-me (and also a redhead!)
5. Has moved around the US – living in Ohio, Washington State, Alabama, Maryland, and New York
Lauren Ford, Senior Director, Data Analytics and Strategy
1. Is a Virgo and her Myers Briggs personality type is ESTJ
2. Family is massively important to Lauren – she has 26 first cousins, and her family usually has 50+ people at Thanksgiving
3. Played soccer and basketball in college – Go Trailblazers!
4. Favorite podcast is Las Culturistas (Hi, readers!)
5. Growing up, Lauren believed that the Easter Bunny got into the house through the oven, which she admits to being quite terrifying
Francine Freise, Senior Region Director, UISS
1. Led Supply Chain efforts to open Bokamoso Private Hospital in Botswana, while also having the opportunity to go on safari when there – and got to see 4 of the big 5!
2. Loves to travel around the world, Europe being her favorite place to travel to
3. Has published books on healthy eating for children
4. Huge golf fan… both to play, and watch
5. Prefers summer over winter
Tom W. Hosey, CPA, Chief Financial Officer
1. Is adopted
2. Is a first degree black belt in taekwondo
3. Rachel Ray did a cooking show segment in his kitchen, which was filmed by CBS as part of a series on “30 minute meals”. Both Tom and his wife, Laura, had their five minutes of fame!
4. Is a big sports fan
5. Has been married to his wife, Laura, for over 27 years, and they have two incredible sons, Matt (21) who is a junior at Marist College, and Josh (18) who is a senior at Guilderland High School.