Continuity of Operations
Based on findings from planning assessments and focus sessions conducted in 2014-15, Iroquois identified continuity of operations planning needs and challenges, and made recommendations for developing hospital and health care system continuity capabilities. These recommendations included developing strategic planning courses and assembling a work group to address planning needs.
Continuity of Operations Work Group
Iroquois, Bassett Health Network and SUNY Upstate University Hospital have coordinated a Health Emergency Preparedness Coalition (HEPC) work group project to address the following objectives:
- Identify and develop tools and models applicable for healthcare continuity planning;
- Support and develop training and education to build competencies;
- Provide information on the value of continuity planning, and the importance of executive support and organizational buy-in.
The documents below further describe Continuity of Operations Work Group’s objectives, activities and accomplishments.
- Continuity WG Objectives and Members 2022-23
- Continuity Work Group Activities and Accomplishments (PPT) (PDF)
Continuity Plan Template for Hospitals & Healthcare Organizations
The work group developed a continuity plan template which includes recommended content and instructional guidance for hospitals and health care organizations to develop or improve a continuity plan. The template is based on FEMA’s Continuity Guidance Circular (February 2018) and FEMA’s Continuity Plan Template (August 2018), and other sources (see