Continuity of Operations
Based on findings from planning assessments and focus sessions conducted in 2014-15, Iroquois identified continuity of operations planning needs and challenges, and made recommendations for developing hospital and health care system continuity capabilities. These recommendations included developing strategic planning courses and assembling a work group to address planning needs.
Continuity of Operations Work Group
Iroquois, Bassett Health Network and SUNY Upstate University Hospital have coordinated a Health Emergency Preparedness Coalition (HEPC) work group project to address the following objectives:
- Identify and develop tools and models applicable for healthcare continuity planning;
- Support and develop training and education to build competencies;
- Provide information on the value of continuity planning, and the importance of executive support and organizational buy-in.
The Continuity of Operations Work Group’s activities and and accomplishments are outlined in the presentation below.
Continuity Planning Template
The work group developed a continuity plan template which includes recommended content and instructional guidance for hospitals and health care organizations to develop or improve a continuity plan. The template is based on FEMA’s Continuity Guidance Circular (February 2018) and Continuity Plan Template (August 2018), and other sources (see Appendix A).
Additional Work Group Products
- Continuity of Operations Planning: Importance of Executive Level Support (PPT) (PDF)
This presentation may be adapted and used to describe the importance of executive level support for continuity planning. Presentation objectives include demonstrating the importance of executive support and the role of leadership, and the objectives and return on investment (ROI) of continuity planning.
- CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule: Continuity of Operations Provisions (PDF) (Word)
This document describes the CMS Emergency Preparedness Conditions of Participation requirements relating to continuity of operations for hospitals.
- Conducting a Business Impact Analysis (BIA): Healthcare Organization Workshop (PPT) (PDF)
This presentation outlines a process for conducting a BIA and describes how this assessment and analysis is used to inform a healthcare organization’s continuity priorities and develop its continuity plan. It includes a sample BIA survey worksheet designed to identify and prioritize departmental essential functions and establish recovery time objectives (RTO).
- Establishing a Continuity of Operations Planning Program: Job Action Sheet
This document is intended to assist hospital and healthcare organization emergency managers, leadership and department heads identify and understand key elements of continuity planning and guide them through stages of establishing and implementing a continuity planning program. The 2017 document is currently being updated to reflect recent FEMA recommendations and to serve as a companion to the Continuity Plan Template.
- Continuity of Operations Planning: Presentation Series for Healthcare Organization Leadership and Department Heads (PPT) (PDF)
This is a series of five brief presentations which may be adapted to educate hospital leaders and department heads on the fundamental aspects of continuity planning. The presentations address:
- COOP Overview
- Planning Process
- Essential Functions & Business Impact Analysis (BIA)
- Governance & Project Management
- Project Management: Action Plan